Safety, Health & Environment
We are sincere about these issues and serious about our responsibilities. All our people are trained to understand our policies and to put them into practice every day. Our management continually reviews and updates the way we care for our environment and our people. We aim for the highest standards and inspire all our employees to do the same via our integrated SHE management system.
NGM Environmental responsibility
For NGM Blocks, success and environmental performance go hand in hand. This commitment is underpinned by a collection of Policy documents which are displayed throughout our business to ensure that everyone is aware of them.
Health and Safety Policy
We have a responsibility to each one of our employees to create a safe and healthy environment in which to work. We rely on our people to build the relationships that sustain our business and consequently we have set ourselves the target of all NGM Blocks workplaces to be free from injuries and occupational ill health.
Every year we aim to come closer to this target by developing specific business improvement plans, ensuring all our people understand our health and safety policies and put them into practice every day.
Today this commitment is reflected in our comprehensive range of externally accredited approvals which cover:
NGM Blocks – Safety, Health and Environment Policy
NGM Blocks aims to be the leader in safety, health and environmental (SHE) management and believes that risk minimisation, legal compliance and continuous improvement are fundamental to the way we do business.
We aim to have all NGM Blocks workplaces free from injuries and occupational ill health and to continually improve environmental performance, enhancing the locality where possible, and to minimise any adverse impact on the environment and the community.
To achieve this, we will:
- Continually promote a positive SHE culture.
- Provide training, instruction and supervision to ensure all employees are competent, aware of the SHE hazards associated with their work, adopt the required control measures and accept their duty and responsibilities to take care of the environment, themselves and others who may be affected by their actions or omissions.
- Encourage all employees to report any practice, unsafe conditions or faulty equipment that may cause an adverse SHE impacts.
- Develop business specific SHE improvement plans every year.
- Effectively maintain all plant and equipment.
- Make SHE considerations a priority when planning any operation, purchase or other business decision.
- Continually enhance site design and achieve restoration excellence.
- Carry out regular workplace SHE audits, review findings and identify improvements.
- Store and manage materials, fuels, oils, chemicals, wastes and effluent in a safe and secure manner.
- Only engage competent contractors.
- Provide occupational health screening for all employees.
- Minimise the potential for nuisance from noise, dust and lighting.
NGM Blocks Quality Policy
At NGM Blocks, delivering quality is fundamental to the way we do business and we aim to achieve the highest practicable standards in our products, operations and services to customers.
To achieve this, we will:
- Define the quality criteria and standards specific to each NGM Blocks business including certification to BS EN ISO 9001 as appropriate.
- Develop and review business specific quality objectives.
- Ensure all employees are competent based on appropriate education, training, skills and experience.
- Ensure all employees adhere to the relevant operating policies and procedures detailed in our integrated management system.
- Promote responsible sourcing of materials throughout our supply chain.
- Ensure all products and constituent materials are routinely tested to demonstrate conformity with relevant standards.
- Continually improve products and services to ensure customer satisfaction.
- Ensure all plant, equipment and delivery vehicles are suitably maintained.
- Deliver products and services in a timely manner in accordance with customer requirements.
- Develop new products to meet market needs and legal requirements.
- Encourage all employees to report any conditions, equipment or practice that may adversely affect the quality of products and services.
- Investigate complaints and provide feedback to customers in a timely manner.
- Carry out routine audits and management review of the NGM’s integrated management system.
- Monitor and review customer satisfaction through regular feedback and surveys.
NGM Blocks Transport Policy
NGM Blocks businesses will act to reduce the adverse social and environmental impacts of transport associated with the delivery of our products to customers.
To achieve this, we will:
- Minimise the transport of our products through effective route planning and wherever possible reduce unladen road mileage.
- Monitor and review distances travelled, and types of transport used to deliver constituent materials and deliver products.
- Promote alternative delivery methods such as barge or rail.
- Ensure delivery drivers have undertaken training in safe, fuel efficient and considerate driving.
- Minimise neighbourhood impacts by ensuring that any restrictions in vehicle movements are adhered to.
- Minimise impact by ensuring products are transferred in appropriate vehicles, suitably packaged and secured.
- Consider the use of alternative fuels, fuel efficiency and safety standards when purchasing new equipment or vehicles.
- Dispose of vehicles responsibly at end of life.
NGM Blocks Energy, Water, Waste and resource Management Policy
All NGM Blocks’ products and services are manufactured or delivered using efficient and effective use of primary resources and encourage the use of secondary and recycled resources wherever possible.
To achieve this:
- We aim to reduce the use of mains water and other non-mains supplies and encourage the use of recycled water wherever possible.
- We will consider energy efficiency and minimising carbon emissions in the purchase of any new plant, equipment and in the running of existing operations.
- We will manage our waste according to the waste ‘hierarchy’ (reduce, reuse and recycle) and minimise our waste going to landfill.
- We will utilise recycled and/or recovered material in our products where practicable.
- We will enhance the locality where possible through improved land use and restoration, protect and promote bio-diversity, recognise the importance of national heritage and geo-diversity during both the operating and post operational phases.
- We will measure and record our consumption of primary and secondary resources such as energy and water, and our production of wastes e.g. consumption per unit of production.
- Each NGM Blocks business will benchmark and set improvement targets with respect to energy, water and waste.
- Each site will have an annual improvement plan.
Employee Training and Competency Policy
At NGM Blocks, the development of our employees is high on our list of priorities as they are at the heart of how we differentiate our-self in our marketplace.
To achieve this:
- We will recruit responsibly and conduct an induction programme prior to an individual commencing duty unsupervised, to ensure that all aspects of their role and responsibilities are understood.
- All personnel, whether direct/indirect or sub-contract, will be competent based on appropriate education, training, skills and experience.
- We have management systems in place for training and to ensure awareness, competence and clearly defined responsibilities for all employees, including functional activities and those relating to health and safety and sustainability.
To ensure competence and awareness we will:
- Determine the necessary competence for all personnel/job functions using a competency matrix.
- Provide appropriate training or other programmes based on an assessment of competence.
- Evaluate the effectiveness of training through a variety of measures and management processes.
- Maintain records of education, training, skills and experience.
- Engage all employees in their own personal development and encourage contribution to the success of the business by maintaining an inclusive, diverse and open business culture.
NGM Blocks Health and Safety Information
Hard landscaping and building products can be hazardous, especially when lifting, cutting, drilling or abrading. It is important to always carry out a risk assessment.
Handling and Storage. Special notice must be taken about the pack and individual product weights.
You need to consider many factors including the:
- weight of the load
- distance from the body during lifting
- number of repetitions of the lift
- local environment e.g. is the floor or ground uneven or slippery?
When storing packs on surfaces specifically designed as stock areas, most packs can be stacked up to four high. Where only level hard standing is available, packs should not be stacked more than two high, and on any other surface one high.
Irregular shaped packs should not be stacked. All packaging should be recycled where possible or disposed of according to local regulations.
When using our products, especially when lifting, cutting, drilling or abrading, you should take sensible precautions to help avoid the risk of injury to yourself or others.
You should also assess the centre of gravity of the load and look for any rough edges; it may be helpful to wear rigger gloves. Before moving packs, check that the packaging is not damaged, NGM Blocks cannot accept any responsibility for damage to packs when being moved. Product dependent, packs can weigh up to 2 tonnes. Therefore, if using a crane, ensure they are enclosed in a net or cage before lifting. Depending on the weight (and other factors mentioned above) it may be that the item must be mechanically handled, or team lifted.
NGM’s products are manufactured to relevant nationally recognised standards and each product is intended for installation in accordance with the relevant installation standards.
To minimise colour and texture variations we recommend that you use product from one batch. If re-ordering, quote batch code numbers. Products should be laid from many packs at the same time and in the order delivered. In the case of paving three packs should be mixed for single colours, 5 in the case of multi-coloured product.
Ideally, product should also be mixed by being taken from several layers of the same pack. The degree of rumbling of our Prestige Block Paving may also vary from product to product and batch to batch. Continual development and review of the NGM Blocks product range means that changes to the ranges including the addition of new products may occur whilst this brochure is still available. Therefore, please ask your local stockist to check you have the latest information.
All product measurements and weights shown in this brochure are approximate and subject to change.
To order NGM Blocks product contact Us. Ensure products are carefully inspected prior to laying. No responsibility will be accepted for any delays, relaying or removing costs if this has not been done.
The colours shown in NGM Blocks marketing materials are as accurate as current photographic and printing processes allow. Prior to ordering and installation, products should always be inspected and chosen in daylight. Most NGM Blocks stockists can supply samples or displays. The total quantity required should be ordered and delivered at the same time to reduce the risk of using products from different batches. Product should be laid from several packs at the same time to further reduce the risk of visible batch variation.
Efflorescence & Differential Curing
Efflorescence is a temporary salt residue that can occur on all concrete products in their initial life. The salt masks the colour of the product and is often mistaken for fading. The best course of action is to leave the paved area to weather over time and efflorescence will usually disappear. Dark patches occasionally appear on the surface of garden products.
This is known as Differential Curing and is caused by varying moisture levels within the flag drying the surface at different rates. Like efflorescence, given time and the natural weathering process such patches will tone down and become less visible. Concrete continues to cure for many years after manufacture. Whilst this happens, and usually only during its initial life, a level of porosity may exist where some product retains water giving a damp appearance. This will disappear as the concrete continues to harden and the product dries out.
Maintenance and Sealers
High pressure washers and de-icing salts are not recommended for use on NGM Blocks Product. Proprietary liquid cleaning, de-icing agents and concentrated pool chemicals should be used with care, as some products may cause bleaching. To reduce the risk of permanent staining, it is recommended that you regularly clean paved areas of detritus. Where trees are nearby, more frequent attention should be given to manage any build-up of leaves and sap which may stain paving surfaces. Never use acid on natural stone, only water and a brush. The use of sealers should be carefully considered, particularly regarding the risk of trapping efflorescence and other contamination.
NGM Blocks Product Safety Data Sheet
Hazards identification: Handling of pre-cast concrete products may cause abrasive damage to the hands. Excessive handling may cause dermatitis or drying of unprotected skin. Cutting or similar surface treatment of the products will give rise to respirable dust. Such dust, if containing quartz and if inhaled in excessive quantities over extended periods, can constitute a long-term health hazard. Cutting etc, unless adequately controlled, can project particles at high velocity with consequent risk of impact damage.
Composition and information on ingredients: natural and recycled aggregate, cement, pulverised fuel ash, lightweight expanded clay aggregate, water, sand, pigment and admixtures are used to make pre-cast concrete products.
- Eye contact: if dust makes contacts with the eyes and causes irritation, irrigate with water. If symptoms persist, seek medical attention.
- Skin contact: if dust contact open skin and causes irritation, wash with water. If symptoms persist, seek medical attention.
- Ingestion: if dust is ingested and causes irritation, remove affected person from area. If symptoms persist, seek medical attention.
- Inhalation: if dust is inhaled and causes irritation, remove affected person from area. If symptoms persist, seek medical attention.
Fire-fighting measures: pre-cast concrete is a non-combustible product; therefore, no specific instructions are required.
Accidental release measures: not applicable
Handling and storage: Particular care should be taken in the stacking, un-banding and general handling of packs and individual units. Manual Handling regulations should be followed always. Packs should be stored on firm; level ground and they should be stable.
Exposure controls and personal protection: Whilst handling, suitable clothing should be worn to prevent skin contact with product. Protective gloves and protective footwear should be worn. Cutting or similar activity will give rise to dust. This should be done in a well-ventilated area, appropriate dust masks should be worn, as well as goggles and protective footwear.
Physical and chemical properties: pre-cast concrete products are manufactured to fine tolerances by the compaction of a hydrated mixture of aggregates and cementitious materials which subsequently undergo a curing process.
Stability and reactivity: not applicable.
Toxicological information: see Hazards Identification.
Ecological information: not applicable.
Disposal considerations: pre-cast concrete products are inert, but all products and associated packaging should be disposed of in accordance with local legal requirements.
Transport information: the carriage of pre-cast concrete products is not subject to hazardous substance conveyance regulations and vehicle labelling is not required. Pre-cast concrete products are packaged with polyester banding. This banding should not be relied upon for load security or retention.
Regulatory information: all relevant Health & Safety Legislation should be complied with.